CBD stone is the presence of a gallstone in the common bile duct. Stones in the gallbladder are called gallstones. The bile duct is a tiny tube connecting the gallbladder to the intestine and transports bile.
The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ on the upper right side of your abdomen, underneath your liver. These stones usually stay in the gallbladder or pass through the common bile duct without obstructing bile flow.
Clinically CBD stones are known as choledocholithiasis. If you are experiencing pain in the stomach combined with fever, visit your liver specialist in Mumbai.
Dr. Gaurav Gupta specializes in treating ailments of the liver, pancreas, and other digestive system ailments. He is brilliant at liver transplant surgeries. He and his team work with unmatched diligence and expertise to treat patients.
Symptoms of CBD:
Gall stones in the bile duct may go unnoticed due to a lack of symptoms for months or years. In case they get stuck in the bile duct, you will notice the following symptoms:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Pain in the right or middle upper abdomen
- Loss of appetite
- Changes in the color of stool.
You may experience pain in intervals or lingering pain. Sometimes the intensity of the pain may be so high; you may mistake it with a cardiac arrest. In such circumstances, seek emergency medical treatment.
When bile cannot pass the duct due to blockage by stone, it gets infected and travels up to the liver. This is a life-threatening scenario. Other infections that can occur are pancreatitis and biliary cirrhosis.
How or Why are Gallstones formed?
Gallstones are of 2 types:
Cholesterol gall stones: These are most common. They are yellow in color and form due to too much bilirubin, cholesterol, and less bile salt.
If gall bladder juices don’t get adequately emptied regularly, it results in gall bladder stones.
Pigment Stones: People suffering from liver cirrhosis, biliary tract infections, or hereditary blood disorders with too much bile production may come across these stone formations. Actual causes are unknown.
Who is at risk of CBD stone?
If you are suffering from gall bladder stones, you are at risk of CBD as well. In some cases, even after the gall bladder has been surgically extracted, you still stand a chance of CBD stone.
Some factors that increase your risk of gall stones are:
- Low fibre intake
- Continuous fasting
- Less physical activity
- Rapid weight loss
To prevent gall stones, make good lifestyle changes. Unavoidable circumstances include:
- Gender- women are more susceptible
- Age- the older you are, the higher the chances
- Family history
- Place of Origin
How is CBD stone diagnosed?
If you have visited the doctor on noticing the symptoms, the doctor will conduct a physical examination and ask you to undergo some tests listed below:
- Complete blood count
- Liver function test
- Bilirubin count
- Pancreatic enzymes count
Also, imaging tests such as:
- Abdominal CT scan
- Transabdominal ultrasound (TUS)
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiography
- Endoscopic ultrasound
- Percutaneous transhepatic cholangiogram
- Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography
Treatment of CBD stone:
To remove the gall stone blocking the duct, the doctor may use any of the following processes:
- Stone removal: If they are in size to pass on their own, they will be made to pass.
- Lithotripsy (breaking the stones): If the stone is large and cannot pass on its own, the surgeon uses either laser technology or shockwaves to break the stone into fragments to help them pass.
- Cholecystectomy, removing the gall bladder and the stones. The surgeon carries a surgery to remove the gall bladder and at the same time extract stones from the bile duct.
- Sphincterotomy, removing the stone by making an incision in the bile duct.
- Stenting the bile duct: The surgeon inserts a stent using an endoscope to help the stone pass. In the future also if the stone is recurring, then the stent will avoid blockage.
Preventing Gall Stone Formation:
There are chances of recurrence. The doctors recommend specific lifestyle changes with a moderate exercise routine, and fibre intake can help in preventing stones formation.
Be watchful of your health and symptoms. Take timely action by visiting a doctor to avoid severe complications.